About Comcast VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research)
VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research), is a division within Comcast’s VNCRE (Video, Network, Cloud and Reliability Engineering) team and spun out from IP Video and online projects originated within Comcast Interactive Media is based in downtown Denver, CO. We are a cloud-based, IP video infrastructure that’s been built to deliver a broad mix of on-demand video, live TV streams and an assortment of other digital media to an array of connected devices in the home.
Are you passionate about digital media, entertainment, and software services? Do you like big challenges and working within a highly motivated team environment? Do you thrive on delivering new services or solving problems that lead to unblocking issues with deploying a new service and or technology?
The Platform Service Delivery Engineering team is a growing, fast-moving team of world-class experts who are innovating in end-to-end IP video delivery. We are a team that thrives on big challenges, results, quality, and agility. The team is driving the delivery of many cutting-edge changes to how Comcast delivers IP video to customers.
The Service Delivery Engineer (SDE) is the technical counterpart to the Project Manager on IP Video projects, and is accountable for the overall project technical solution. The SDE role gets involved early in the project lifecycle and continues to support the technical solution beyond successful deployment, ensuring detailed software designs, infrastructure, and operational support meet the project objective.
Who does the delivery engineer work with?
The Serice Delivery Engineer 2 will assist a more senior SDE on large, technical IP Video projects. The SDE is the ‘glue’ that brings together the project’s technical solution. Throughout the life of the project, the Service Delivery Engineer will collaboratively work with many project stakeholders, including the project manager, architect, software development leads, infrastructure team, network engineers, system adiministrators and Comcast leadership.
The broader Platform Service Delivery Engineering team is a diverse collection of software engineers, operations, systems and network administrators from all walks of life.
What are some interesting problems you’ll be working on?
In this role, you will bridge many technical gaps during the life of a project. Examples include:
- Assist with troubleshooting efforts to find root causes and corrective actions thoughout the life of a project.
- Create and validate system capacity plans.
- Identify and create advanced application monitoring (Splunk, ELK) for improved reliability.
- Establish automated application deployments to various environments (Kubernetes, Helm).
- Develop scripts and utilities to automate data collection.
- Help Quality Assurance teams who will perform functional and load testing.
- Assist a more senior SDE with the project technical solution.
- Assist development teams by deploying and configuring components in various environments.
- Troubleshoot and triage services and solutions.
- Development of tools and processes for managing Unix servers.
- Development and execution of load, capacity, longevity and stress testing of systems.
- Development of execution harnesses, systems validation tools and code performance validation tools.
Here are some of the specific technologies we use for Service Delivery Engineering:
- DevOps Tools: Splunk, Kubernetes, Docker, Sysdig, Prometheus, Git, Helm, Concourse, Jenkins
- Open Source Technologies: Nginx, PostgreSQL, Varnish, Apache Tomcat, HAProxy, Redis, Kafka
- General Knowledge: Linux, MPEG, HTTP Adaptive Streaming, IP Networking, VMWare, OpenStack
Familiarity with the following industry specifications and standards is helpful but not required:
- CableLabs Event Signaling and Management (ESAM)
- CableLabs Event Signaling and Notification Interface (ESNI)
- Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers (SCTE-35)
- Digital Video Ad Serving Template (VAST)
- CableLabs Encoder Boundary Point (EBP)
Skills & Requirements
- 3+ years programming experience.
- Experience writing core programming languages such as Go, Java or C/ C++.
- Understanding how to scale applications depending on load.
- Experience with developing application performance monitoring.
- Ability to navigate Unix operating systems.
- Great communicator and able to clearly articulate complex issues and technologies.
- Strong collaborator.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced agile environment. Requirements change quickly and our team needs to constantly adapt to moving targets
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex or any other legally protected category.