Near Milwaukee, WI
Created 3w ago
The Staff Engineer (with Database focus) is responsible for overseeing and managing our complex database systems. In this role, you will perform database tuning, monitoring, alerting and diagnostic strategies to ensure optimal performance. This is a senior technical position within our Engineering organization and will serve as the lead escalation support for our production database.
What you'll do:
- Perform configuration and performance tuning on a variety of platforms (MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL, etc.). Review, write, and optimize queries and stored procedures.
- Design, implement, and improve monitoring, alerting, and diagnostic strategies and mechanisms for our complex database systems.
- Provide assistance to software engineering teams to review and optimize database designs and implementations to ensure reliability and correctness.
- Design, develop, and maintain ETL and data replication processes to support our reporting environments.
- Manage database life cycles. Design and develop specifications for future database requirements including enhancements, upgrades, capacity projections, and cost optimizations; evaluate alternatives and make recommendations. Apply security patches and upgrades as needed, inventory systems, and retire unused items.
- Develop and implement procedures for automated testing, build and deployment using CI/CD patterns and practices.
- Support the production environment, including on-call responsibilities. Participate in post-mortems, investigate root causes for incidents, and provide and implement recommendations for improvement.
What you'll need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Software Engineering
- 5+ years of professional software programming or database administration/engineering experience
- 3+ years of experience with major database systems (MS SQL, PostgreSQL, etc.)
Other items of interest:
- Experience with cloud-hosted and non-relational database systems (AWS RDS, DynamoDB)
- Experience with scripting and automation tools/languages
- Knowledge and experience with monitoring systems and frameworks (NewRelic, AWS CloudWatch, Sumologic)